Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Heresy Era Alpha Legion - Tactical squad nearly complete!

I've been enjoying the dual nature of the current project, allowing me to bounce back and forth between the two paint schemes which has kept my interest on the boil! After working on the Geno characters it was time to buckle down and work on another Troops choice, the Alpha Legion tactical squad this time around...


Still waiting on the transfer sheets to see what I might use on the blank shoulder pads. Still have some errant static grass on the models, usually I'll let 'em dry overnight and then give them a good brushing before they get the initial sealant pass. However that's going to have to wait a bit, as this is what I woke up to this morning:


We ended up getting another couple inches after that. Gonna be a little while before I'm able to spray seal anything it seems! Colorado being what it is however, we're supposed to be in the mid-50s by the weekend. Gotta love wintertime in the Rockies!

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow look at that snow. I'll trade you some of that for the muggy heat we're getting down under!

    The Legion look cool. I dig the yellow on the fist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work so far :) You lucky SOB. We haven't had a flake of snow yet here in Toronto and NONE of the ski hills are even close to being open -_- Even North of the city it's been above freezing and the temps look like they will be 4 to 5 degrees above freezing even on xmas day. Zab is not a happy snowboarder right now. I blame the alpha legion. Mainly because they aren't here to defend themselves. Or are they...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know me and you know I love your work, but for the record this is not your best work. Although it is better than mine for sure.
    It just seems that your silver leaks onto the black a lot and there seems to be a more black around the shoulder pads than expected.

    Over all the squad does look great and I love the colour scheme. But I just thought to say it, I really value your feedback so I hope you understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Frothing Muppet: Hah! I'll likely be saying the same thing to you come July!

    @Zab: That's pretty surprising! The one time I was in Toronto my impression was one of impenetrable winter! Of course it was mid February in what was apparently one of the worst winters on record. :)

    @Rory Priest: I appreciate the feedback man! The pictures leach out a little bit of the color gradient so what's fading to an indigo does sort of end up looking like an abrupt black from the purple, but you're absolutely correct that on certain models (especially on the shoulder pads), the shading isn't as smooth as I'd prefer, and there's definitely some trim cleanup that needs to happen that I hadn't noticed on the initial pass. Hopefully some of the more egregious issues will be resolved once I get 'em cleaned up, sealed and shot under better lighting. Planning on doing some weathering on all of the Alphas once the waterslide sheet finally arrives, so some of the mistakes can be covered up in scratches and mud! :)

    Cheers everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We should be getting some more Norcal winter rain tomorrow. But I do miss the snow...

    Alphas are great mate. Really like the purple over black effect. Makes the accent colours stand out all the better.

    ReplyDelete