Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Iron Hands - Firing up the batch painting machine!

The waiting continues, and in the meantime Forge World has released pics of all sorts of cool heresy-era models. Darn it, this second half of the order I had planned is getting more expensive all the time! To pass the time I figured I may as well keep plugging away on the current era Iron Hands. Great practice, at least!


Haven't had as much time to paint as I'd like, work and Real Life(tm) have been eating up the schedul in a huge waye. Nevertheless, the initial black and metal tones went on super quick - shadow grey, boltgun metal, black wash and then walk away for at least an hour while the wash dries. I find it's a good idea to keep a couple reference models nearby to ensure I'm following the same recipe, nothing like realizing (for example) at the end when you're putting them away next to the earlier models that all 20 of the the guardsmen you just painted have fatigues that are a different shade of blue from the rest of the army and will require a repaint. Not that that's ever happened to me. ...On more than occasion.


I got a little free time after work today and laid down another layer of shadow grey on the areas that will eventually be white. Even though there's 25 of 'em going at once, I'm really rather enjoying painting them - will all the bionics and whatnot each model is rather different from the last and that helps keep me on task. The heresy marines will also have more bionics than your run of the mill army, though likely not to the extent of these current-era brethren...

I am pretty pleased with the progress thus far (hoping to have them done by the weekend), it bodes well for my ability to crank out the heresy force before January!

11 comments:

  1. You're a machine Mordian - fitting given the subject matter. You should pic up one of those chapter bundles - you'd whizz through it in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a bit of batch painting to loosen those painting muscles! Looking very nice indeed, love watching these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good so far man. Handy to have minis to practice on for the heresy era army!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Frothing Muppet: Hah! Add in $5k for enough Iron Hands upgrade bits and you might be right! :)

    @Colonel Scipio: Thanks mate, churning away on 'em, more pics to follow soon!

    @17yearoldhobbyist: Indeed, once I get done with the heresy Iron Hands I'm definitely going to want to paint something a bit more colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @The Eye of Error: Thanks man, I'm gonna have to be fast if I'm going to paint 3k between now and January!

    @Miniature Tim: Hah! You know it - only fitting as the marines I'm painting are mostly machine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you seen the latest FW goodies for the Iron Hands - they are blowing GW out of the water when it comes to Space Marines at the moment - even if it is all 30K instead of 40K.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Frothing Muppet: Oh man, I know! I am LOVING all the new IH releases (even if my wallet doesn't)! Cannot wait to get my hands on them!

    ReplyDelete