Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Dark Angels - DV Tactical Squad painted

A little more forward motion on the Dark Angels from the Dark Vengeance set - the Tactical squad is now complete! Still working out the particulars of taking pictures with the new camera and lights, but it's starting to all come together. I think I may need to spring for a 'real' lightbox with light diffusers, either that or try a DIY solution and take a whack at building one.


Still a bit too much harsh shadowing from the lamps as you can see on the right-hand side of the picture. More experimentation is needed! Overall however I'm pleased with how the unit turned out. Nothing too special about the models really, just the basic Dark Angels scheme.


I am quite pleased with how the sergeant turned out - the gradients on the face and tabard worked out better than I'd hoped! With the imminent release of the new DA plastics, I'm thinking I might just jump on the bandwagon and bang out an 1850 point army for Adepticon rather than the originally-planned guard list. Far fewer models to travel with, and should something go wrong and they are lost or damaged during the trip it wouldn't be quite as catastrophic. I have to wait to get my hands on the codex of course, but I am tentatively planning on taking this unit, a few Deathwing terminator squads, an Assault squad (using the BA Sanguinary Guard winged jump packs), one of the cool new Nephilim flyers, and perhaps a couple tanks if I can squeeze the points. I'm loving the rumor of a plasma predator being included in the list, so perhaps an order from Forge World is on the horizon as well...

9 comments:

  1. Looking good 8) .. I'll probably be workong on the same squad here shortly so nice to see them all painted up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the osl on the eyes, nice touch. Way to restrain yourself too I can't ell you how tired i am of osl the overpowers everything around it. I love the first legion so by all means jump on the band wagon - and don't for get your bathrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks folks!

    @Todd Sherman: Nice! I look forward to seeing them, I've loved what you've been doing with the BA Scouts recently!

    @Zab: I appreciate it! I try to follow the "Less is more" approach when it comes to OSL (and I don't use it that often in any case). It's easy to just splash glow all over everything, but it tends to end up on parts that shouldn't reflect the shine which throws off the overall look. Ron over at FTW has done some great tutorials about OSL that I really enjoy.

    Bathrobes for everybody! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A buddy of mine just uses a styrofoam cooler laid on its side. It seems to work about as a well as my light box...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sergeant's face is my fav part of this squad.

    Very nicely done sir.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2nd that on the sarge's face. Love the tattoos / warpaint under his eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looking good!

    The skin tones on the searg are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks very much for the kind words, folks!

    @Da Masta Cheef: That's a great idea!

    @Dai: Thanks! Amazing what a set of eyebrows do. Both those and the eyes were done with micron pens. Almost feels like cheating, but it works!

    @Phil Morris: I wish I could say the warpaint look was intentional, I was trying to underline the eyes a bit with some wash and it got out of hand. :)

    @The Eye of Error: Thanks much! I tried several new techniques on this guy. Rather happy with how it turned out!

    Cheers, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work on those.

    Personally when photographing my miniatures I like these backgrounds from the Corvus miniature website as an alternative to white. ->

    http://corvusminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/cloud-backdrops-for-your-miniature.html

    ReplyDelete