Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Heresy Era Thousand Sons - Spartan painting in progress

First off, let me start by saying that it's 2/1/12 (at least for my American readers), and as such I would be remiss if I didn't suggest listening to the linked song today! For those of you across the pond, I suppose I should have mentioned it on the 2nd of January! Heh.

With that out of the way, I thought I'd put up a few pics of the Land Raider Spartan, now that I've managed to get some paint on it. All in all it's coming along fairly well - I'm pleased with the look even though it is quite obviously a scratchbuild.


Side by side with a 'real' Mk.I Land Raider the differences are rather obvious, but I'm hoping I can downplay some of the more obvious shortcomings in the painting process. One thing I have noticed is the paint tone is quite different between the two tanks which I imagine is partially due to the cardstock nature of the Spartan. I'm going to have to give it a second wash of Baal Red in hopes of darkening it down a bit.


The mix of old style construction and new-era bits does at least tie the two tanks together thematically, I'm fairly pleased with how that's come along so far. Still a fair bit of painting to go of course!


As the spartan is going to be the transport for one of the legion tactical squads I went with the big arrow on the top hatch (as I'm doing something similar with the Rhinos). Overall the spartan is quite a bit longer than the base Mk. I, as is befitting a vehicle with a transport capacity of 20!

So far so good, though it does make me itch to do a proper Spartan build, but finding both a Mk.I Land Raider and Rhino unassembled is a long shot, not to mention also likely being cost prohibitive... Ah well.

5 comments:

  1. Too be honest mate, the scrach build just looks like a 'variant' of the orgional! Its really great work!

    There is a difference in the red's like you say, but i dont think its that noticable!

    Either way, these tanks look great! Really in keeping with your Thousand Sons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good, I wouldn't worry too much about the paint difference, in the real world, working vehicles weather at different rates anyway. I am now stock- piling bits to make a Spartan too, you are a bad person for making me do this! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love seeing the conversion there all painted up. Any subtle differences in paint or overall technical skill don't even register.
    Nice work.

    Ron, From the Warp

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Spartan is a cool scratch build. Def fits the theme! I really like the protruding front nose part.

    ReplyDelete