Saturday, March 6, 2010

The last of the Crimson Fists - Part 4

Nearing completion on the infantry - A few hours worth of work this afternoon got them to the point that I can apply the first coat of sealant prior to adding the waterslide transfers and static grass. Wonder of wonders, it's supposed to be nice enough out tomorrow that I should be able to get them finished:


I still need to get the 5-man Devastator squad finished, as well as touch up the original command squad so they better match the current state of the army. Painting all of these models ensured they match one another, but the older models that I've done were painted in a slightly different manner. Nothing that can't be made to match with a little effort, though!

 

I sat down to point out the army and found it stood about 100 points shy of 2000, so to bring it up to a nice round number I decided to build one of the leftover Land Speeder Storms that I had laying around (I'd used the bodies of the scouts to make the Storm Troopers for my Guard army). I updated the painting chart accordingly - for all the progress I've made, it's still a mass of orange. Getting close to turning a bunch of them green though!

5 comments:

  1. Nice work on your Crimson Fists. When you mentioned going with a green tone for the weapon casings, I was not sure if I was a fan or not given that it was hard to tell in the last picture when it was all by itself. In this one though, where they all have it, it definitely makes for a hell of a contrast to the darker armor, a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I wasn't 100% sure of the green when I started either, but I'm happy with how it turned out in the end. I think a more primary green would have probably looked tacky, but the muted olive drab adds just the right amount of color to set off the blue and red. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, a primary green would have certainly pushed the contrast too far and clashed, agreed on that!

    If you don't mind my asking, as I'm not too shy to admit I'm thinking of using a similar color in the future, how did you make the olive drab?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not at all - I started with a base of Catachan Green, hit that with a little Devlan Mud in the recesses and then touched up the upper edges with Camo Green. Simple and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is super easy, I will give it a go on some of my weapons I have sitting around. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete